Saturday, November 14, 2009

And so it begins... or so I thought

Friday November 13th, 2009 was supposed to be the start of the college basketball season as we know it. I was out for the evening and recording the first KU regular season game against Hofstra. Or so I thought.

I set up the recording with no difficulty and left for the night to enjoy the Denver Nuggets thrash the Los Angeles Lakers. Quite an amazing thing considering how things went last year in the western conference playoffs.

And then I woke up this morning to enjoy the amazing KU game that I had seen the score of last night. Only I turned on the TV and there was an error showing about recording the game.

You see I had called this week to set up some HD service for the house. And while I was at it I ordered the Full Court package. Only, when they took my order, they decided that they did not need to activate it. So when I tried to record it didn't work because I actually did not have the package.

What does this all mean? It means that I will not be using Comcast after I move. No way at all. However, since I already purchased my package, I can't change now.

So what can I tell you about KU basketball? They are going to be incredible.

Imagine having not one, but two all americans (Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich) and add in the best freshman in the country to an amazing cast of role players and you have a team that may run the table in a time that features more parody than ever. With the inception of the mandatory one year post high school graduation rule to enter the NBA, there are more quality freshman entering the college ranks. With this, there are more and more high-quality college teams and less likely that teams will go undefeated.

Not only does this team have the best inside-outside combination in the country, but they have tremendous role players. I say role players with a slight hesitation. The likes of the Morris twins, Tyshawn Taylor or any one of the talented freshman on the Jayhawk squad would be a star on just about any other team. Just look at Taylor's run with the American Under 19 team over the summer. He was the leading scorer on a team packed full with talented underclassmen.

That said, I am more than ready for the basketball season. With the demise of the football team that used to be known as the Kansas Jayhawks, I have to turn my attention to the sport that is the reason for this blog. College basketball exhibits more heart, passion, suspense and athleticism than anything else on the planet.

With over 300 teams in division I basketball each day brings a new adventure and story line. Whether it be the combined talents of freshman and all americans on Kansas, the ever present over rating of the teams in the Great Lakes 11 (Big Ten), the potential impact of a Cinderella (Jai Lucas, formerly of George Mason fame) on a Top 5 team in Texas, the first preseason top 10 ranking for a team outside of a major conference (Butler) in recent history, the transfer of a highly talented (or at least touted) coach in the state of Kentucky, or the title defense of a historically good program that lost more talent than most teams get every 5 years, this season is expected to be one of the most newsworthy seasons in recent memory.

I plan on writing as much as I can about the college basketball season this year with access to the full court package and time at home to watch it (pending Mrs. DDSF's approval, wink wink). Now, I also plan on writing more about my observations about the KU Jayhawks, because that is where my passion lies. I know some of the readers (all 6 of you) may not get a kick out of this, but that is too bad. That said, I will also try to discuss more about KU's neighbors to the west, the Wildcats. Hopefully, this will lead to more discussion and more discussion will lead to more brilliance.

Tuesday, KU plays Memphis in St. Louis, MO. I expect to have plenty of observations from the game and plenty more in the future. Look for an update either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

And so it begins,

DDSF

No comments:

Post a Comment