Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Too Much Coffee

Today is officially Tuesday of "Judgement week" and you can't but help think that it is going to be a good week for college basketball.
KU vs. OU already, with Duke @ Maryland, Florida @ the surprising LSU Tigers, UConn @ Marquette, K-State @ the somehow in the Top 10 Mizzou, then Mizzou @ Kansas, Mich. State @ Illinois, Marquette @ Louisville, (13) Clemson @ (25) Florida State, and Ohio State @ Purdue.

Crazyness.

So crazy, I spelled crazyness with a "y", not an "i". It's that crazy.

Which brings me to my reaction to last night. KU traveled to Norman, OK and got a W against a Blake Griffin-less Sooner squad. Full of runs (see 22-8, followed by 50-16!!) the game presented those who watched the whole thing, with a lot to look forward to come March.

Oklahoma definitely missed Blake Griffin, especially when Taylor Griffin went to the bench 5 minutes into the first half with 2 fouls. Cole-nan the Barbarian definitely took advantage with a Nick Collison inspired rebounding effort (20, a new career high). He also finished with a season average of 15 points.

KU had trouble stopping OU's guards early, as Willie Warren (the Big 12 frosh of the year) lit up Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed. It wasn't until Billy Self put Sherron Collins on Warren, that KU started to play like a ranked team.

The best player of the game was Tyshawn Taylor, a guy that KU needs in order to compete in the tourney. He put up 26 points with 3 assists and only 1 turnover. Quite a line for a freshman who has been the most erratic player on the team. He will be a star for KU, he's just taking a little bit of time to grow into that player. If Taylor plays like he did in Norman every game, KU has a decent shot in the tourney.

The biggest argument about the game last night was, was this win really that big for KU since OU was without Griffin (thanks allen for giving this perfect idea for the post)? The answer is yes. This was that big for KU.

A victory on the road in conference play with only 3 games left on the slate is huge. KU put themselves in the driver seat for at least a share of the Big 12 crown and the #1 seed in the conference tourney. It showed the team (especially the younger guys) that they can compete with anybody. Sure, no Griffin, but OU is made up of more than one player.

On the flip side, this was not that bad for OU other than losing the inside track to the Big 12 title. They will not be punished come tourney time by the selection committee, and will get Griffin back at full strength for March.

Who would win if OU was full strength??

Well, every ounce of my heart wants to say KU would win. KU would have a different game plan trying to deny Griffin (the Player of the year front runner) the ball and double teaming him when he caught it. They would make the other OU players beat them and try to force turnovers, potentially by switching to a zone defense to make them make outside shots.

I think after watching last night, there would be a slim chance for KU, but they would lose. OU did get a lot of breaks being at home, but they dominated the first 10 minutes and would have not let KU back in the game if they had Griffin.

No picks for today, as tonight's games don't excite me too much (save Florida @ LSU to see which team is for real).

Now, for the song of the day, being it is Tuesday and therefore song of the day day.

I have to switch it back to some hip hop and go with:
"My Life" by The Game featuring Lil' Wayne

Its not a song that you want your parents to listen to because they won't like it and tell you it is crap, but it totally made me think.

Dear lord, you done took so many of my people.
I'm just wondering why
you haven't taken my life.
What the hell am I doing right?

I know that it is referencing some gang rapper life, but I take it completely differently and apply it to my life.

*warning, philosophical questions that are unanswerable*

Why am I still here?
What purpose do I ultimately serve?
Am I here to relay my perspective on sports for the rest of the world's enjoyment (or like 8 people, like is happening now)?

I got to know my God in a completely different way than most people, and while I don't talk about it a whole lot, I know he is there. It is a life long question that I don't think everyone is able to answer until they know they are gone. Why am I here?


It is "Judgement week", so think about it.


DDSF

1 comment:

  1. i have an idea for defending griffin, just give him a light slap in the face, this should knock him out for a week or two

    ReplyDelete