Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Bracket

I was so terribly wrong on all of my conference picks (save Tennessee who played pretty well) that I am ashamed. And even though the Mrs. doesn't like the Great Lakes 11 comments, I have to give her mad props for getting Purdue correct as the Tourney champs.

Quick other sports news before bracket talk:

- The Broncos made a mistake by even considering trading Jay Cutler. If he had a coach that would instill some discipline into him, he would be one of the Top 5 QB's in the game instead of just one of the top 5 fantasy picks.

- The World Baseball classic is a good thought, but it just doesn't work for me. I almost think it would do better in the fall after the World Series. Catch Phrase: The __(WS champs)___ are the best team in the world, but now find out which country is the best. The teams playing in the playoffs would have enough left in the tank to showcase some talent, you would have plenty of well rested players, and it would only matchup against NFL for ratings, which wouldn't be a problem if games were during the week. Now, everyone is concerned about college basketball and the change of tempo is too much to handle. Just my take.

- The Royals are doing very good this year. I am totally excited. They have at least 3 decent starters in the rotation (Meche, Grienke and Davies) and have an improved lineup and possibly just as good of a bullpen compared to last year.

- However, if the Yankees don't win this year it may be the biggest disappointment of all time.

- Went to a Nuggets game over the weekend and the NBA pace is not at all what I am accustomed to. It is a lot slower, but still enjoyable. I think what I was most amazed about was the fact that in warmups, ALL of the players were making every shot they put up. Despite the different game style and the potential for ruining the game (there is a rumor they may modify the traveling violation to allow for 2 steps.... this would be irreconcilable in my book. I know I am not much of a fan, but they would lose me if the league changed that rule), the NBA houses the best basketball players on the planet and it is a joy to watch the pure skill and athleticism that the athletes possess.




The Bracket!!!

So, I have yet to come out with a finished product as far as the bracket is concerned. I am doing more research as we speak, but I will tell you some thoughts if you are filling out a bracket early in the week.

- The 16 and 15 seeds may be some of the best that we have seen in a long time. Two of the 16 seeds have been given a 7% chance of winning. This is extraordinary due to the fact that no #16 seed has won in the Men's Tournament ever. Anything over 2% in my mind is consider quite good odds.

- All those experts that are picking three #1 teams and one #2 team for the final four are wrong. It won't be that easy this year. When you are picking, if you are a true risk taker and analyst, throw in a 3 seed or lower. If you are only filling out one bracket and don't trust me... fine. But when it comes time, I told you so.

- ESPN is featuring a simulator that is put on by Accuscore. It is totally awesome, as they break down each matchup based upon a whole bunch of numbers and ratings. I am totally using this to look for trends in picks to make my picks.

- The surest locks based upon this, other than a couple #1's moving on, is a Mizzou vs. Memphis sweet 16 matchup in the West. And then a Memphis win.

- Because I care, KU is not guaranteed a W in the first round. NDSU is a very good team (not to mention twice as close to the Metrodome as KU) and has a good outside shooting team. However, if KU takes care of business in round 1, look for them to advance to the Elite 8.

- Be careful when you pick your second round upsets. It is very important to look at location, location, location and how your underdog performed on the road this year. For instance, I have heard a lot about Clemson potentially upsetting Oklahoma in the second round. Oklahoma is playing in a familiar setting (Kansas City). Clemson did win road games against Illinois, Georgia Tech, BC, Va Tech, South Carolina and Miami from major conferences, but only 2 of those teams made the tourney (Illinois and BC) and neither is expected to go very far. Plus, they got bounced from the ACC tourney in the first round by Georgia Tech.

- The strangest championship game that I saw with my simulations was Illinois vs. Clemson. Yikes. Illinois is the favorite right now for a running no one wants to be in, the most likely 5 seed to be upset by a 12.

- VCU sure beats UCLA a lot.

- There are potentials for some interesting future matchups, mostly involving my Jayhawks. KU rematch with Mich State. Pitt vs. Nova in the regional final, Big East matchups all over the place (WVU vs. Louisville, UConn vs. Marquette, Louisville vs. UConn in the Final Four), KU vs. Marquette or Memphis in the Final Four where both teams have met before and KU vs. Mizzou in the Final Four. Do I actually think that these could happen??? Probably not.

Stay tuned and you will get my bracket soon!




Wishing Opening round Thursday and Friday became National Holidays,

DDSF

2 comments:

  1. Question. I just thought about the Chiefs and my favorite player, Jon McGraw. You don't think he'll follow Herm to his next team, IF Herm gets hired again do you? I mean, he did follow Herm from the Jets to KC. Surely McGraw is happy in his home state of Kansas. I don't want him to leave. If he does, I'm becoming a Broncos fan. :D Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thanks for giving me props on Purdue. They won't let you down in the NCAA tourney either. I'm going to bet on it. Literally.

    ReplyDelete