Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Let the Madness Begin

Over the weekend, the picks record was 4-3. Missing on Clemson (should have gone with the numbers not my gut), UCLA (Cal blew it) and Illinois (they blew it too).

Overall, my record is 26-17.

Not where I had hoped to be at this point in the season. However, the conference tournaments are just about to start and that means that there will be constant updates on automatic qualifiers. This is where the highlight shows will now start to focus on college basketball and ignore the NBA where defense does not happen.

Tonight the Horizon League, Big South Conference and Ohio Valley Conference begin their conference tournaments.

The Horizon features Butler, who should win, Big South features Radford and VMI while the Ohio Valley features Murray State, League Champ Tennessee Martin and Austin Peay.

I am struggling today to come up with insightful insights, so I'll just hit up another set of bullets.

- Kansas's victory (or should I say drubbing) of Mizzou all but assures them a Big 12 title. THey have a chance to go 15-1 in conference play by beating Tech on Wednesday and Texas in the Phog. That is 2 games better than last year's national championship team. I understand that the Big 12 is down this year, but I would have never expected those kind of results with a completely new team. Bill Self deserves all the pub he is getting for coach of the year.

- KState plays in Stillwater tonight in a must win for tourney consideration. They almost have to get to 10-6 in league play in order to make the field due to losses to Oregon (worst team in the Pac-10 by 3 games) and Iowa. They will need a strong performance from Denis Clemente and Jacob Pullen to even begin to think about winning. I think they can do it, but not sure they will on the road.

- The Chiefs acquiring Matt Cassel over the weekend irritated me at first. Then I found out the trade was for a second round pick AND included veteran leader Mike Vrabel. I don't think Cassel is necessarily the answer in KC, but I think he is better than Thigpen or Croyle. Plus, if you think about the trade, you get two starters for a second round pick. Not a bad deal.

- The fantasy impact of TJ Housh for the Seattle Seahawks is huge. I look for that whole team to put up pretty good numbers this next year, especially John Carlson, the Tight end. He should be a Top 5 TE next year.

- I still don't get the NBA. Drew Gooden got traded to the Kings as part of a deal where he and Andres Nocioni went to the Kings and Brad Miller and John Salmons (the only two players I knew on the Kings roster) to the Bulls. Gooden subsequently has been bought out by the Kings, who, I guess, are hoping for the first pick in next years draft. Either that, or somebody really wants the Kings to move back to KC.

- Baseball is starting off and the Royals are getting decent pithcing from their top 3. Meche, Grienke and Kyle Davies (I'm excited now!) are all off to good spring starts. The biggest problem with the Royals is the Right side of the infield. They don't have a real second baseman yet, and have 613 first baseman all competing for time.

Song of the Day

I don't have a good one, so....

"That's what you get"
By Paramore

I dont know why I like chick rock bands, but I do. Paramore, Lucious Jackson just to name a couple. This song just gets me pumped every time I hear it. Hopefully you all can enjoy it too.

Until next time,

DDSF

1 comment: