Thursday, February 25, 2010

Almost Famous

First things first.

In response to one of my (potential) thousands of readers, KState did get a good win this week. I believe that I have said this before, but any road win in conference play is a good win. I will never argue that.

Adding on to that, the Big 12 standings could be shaping up to be quite historic. Kansas has all but locked up the number 1 seed in the conference. KState looks to be in very good shape to take the second seed. And after last night's events Missouri sits alone in 3rd place, one game ahead of Baylor, Texas and Texas A&M. Never in the history of the Big 12 (that's all the way back to 1996-1997) have the top 3 teams in the conference been from the same division, North or South.


However, Mizzou has 2 really tough games left. At Manhattan on this saturday and a week from saturday (in Columbia) against Kansas. They also have a date in Ames mixed in, but if that team is going to amount to anything, they must win in Iowa.


Now on to the exciting news.

Pat Forde is a columnist for espn.com. He frequently writes a column called Forde (pronounced Ford - E) minutes. It hits on 40 different names, places, schools, etc. dealing with college sports. He mentioned a Dandy dozen of the best remaining college basketball games this year. One of those games was Kansas vs. Missouri on March 6th. He went on to say, "Some good potential drama here, with the Jayhawks conceivably trying to ice a 16-0 Big 12 season on the home court of their bitter rivals."

Here is my email to him:
Pat,

Huge fan of yours, first time emailer. I would like to give you more potential for the epic battle that is Kansas @ Missouri on March 6th. If Kansas finds a way to win the next two games, they would not only be playing for an undefeated conference regular season, but they would also be playing for victory #2000 as a program. As a Jayhawk fan, I can think of no better place to get such a monumental victory. Thanks for the great columns!



Having emailed some national media before, I was not optimistic for a response. Low and behold, the day after I got an email reply:


DDSF*: Thanks for writing. I've had that pointed out by a few Kansas fans and I wish I had included that in the story. As you said, one more reason that should be a must-watch game. Enjoy the rest of the season.
Pat Forde


*He addressed it using my real name, but for the mystique of the post, I chose to change it.

Pretty sweet. He may be my new favorite.

Direct and personal contact with the national media. Just another reason for you to keep reading.
Almost famous,

DDSF

No comments:

Post a Comment